♥ Remembering Ah Gong and Popo during CNY ♥


It's Chinese New Year again. During this time as we celebrate this joyous occasion, i am reminded of the people and the memories that are dear to my heart..


I could still remember 3 years ago, back in 2009, i was back as usual one day before CNY eve. We went over to Ah Gong's place. Ah Gong has been having on and off fever for the past one week; it was just a fever, prior to that he was a fairly healthy man. Ah Gong asked for me, whether i came back and i went over to greet him. Daddy felt Ah Gong's forehead and he was cold. We put a blanket over him, greeted him goodbye and headed home. That night, Ah Gong was still happily telling stories about his past to my aunt and uncle who came home to celebrate CNY. Who would have thought it was the last goodbye. Mummy woke me up the morning of CNY eve and told me Ah Gong was gone. He died peacefully in his sleep.

Being an ex-headmaster, Ah Gong was strict and he has his temper. He was very thrifty and calculative when it comes to money. Back then, we couldn't understand why. But after he was gone, only then we realized his true intentions. He was thrifty so that his children and grandchildren can enjoy the fruits of his labor. We set up a fund with the money he left us for gatherings and special occasions. I believe it was Ah Gong's way of keeping the family together after he was gone.



And 2 days ago as i step back into my Popo's ( my grandmother as we used to call her) house, when everyone was busy eating and chatting, something else caught my attention. It was an oxygen tank hidden at the end of my grandfather's bed. Those who read my previous blog earlier http://calyn-l-o-v-e.blogspot.com/2010/04/memories-of-popo.html would have known that popo suffered from bronchiectasis and was oxygen dependent during her last years of her life. Looking at the oxygen tank brought a surge of emotions as i was reminded of the times i celebrated CNY with her. When i was younger, i enjoyed going over to her house on CNY eve to watch her " pai tian gong" and listen to the sound of loud firecrackers. I missed the times when i would just sit and eavesdrop when she is chatting with other relatives during CNY to get updates on how others are doing.








Chinese New Year is a time for celebration; we eat, we drink and we enjoy ourselves with family and friends. But i think somehow or rather, we can't deny that the older generations play an important role during these times. They are the ones who hold the key to uniting the family together. They may not participate much in conversations or show their love openly, but they are the reason everyone comes back for reunion.  Their smile warm our hearts and it puts a smile on our face as well.



The mood for CNY is somewhat different without Ah Gong and Popo around. But i know that they are watching us from afar and they will be glad knowing that they are still remembered in the midst of the celebration. I miss you Ah Gong and Popo!! 



2 comments :

  1. It was always sad when we were reminded of our loved ones who were not with us anymore. Everything was so different without them. Like you, I too miss them so very much especially popo (my mum). Even reading your blog could bring tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this bring tears to me...CNY eve was never the same for me ever since popo is not around...can't describe the loneliness I felt whenever I hear everyone having family dinner together..

    ReplyDelete

 

Total Pageviews